Background and Information

The 16 to 19 bursary fund provides financial support to help students stay in Further Education.

There are 2 types of 16 to 19 bursaries available:

  • bursaries for defined vulnerable groups of up to £1,200 a year 
  • discretionary bursaries to meet individual needs, for help with the cost of transport, meals and course equipment.

Termly discretionary payments will be available to those with the most challenging financial circumstances. In most cases, these will be payments in kind such as food vouchers, Aspire funding towards course equipment and oyster top-ups.


To be eligible for the discretionary bursary, you must:

  • Be an enrolled student on a full time Foundation course at Ravensbourne starting in September 2022.
  • Have 'home' student status or have been granted full 'refugee' or 'asylum seeker' status.
  • Have been 'ordinary resident' in the UK, EU or EEA continuously for the last three years with 'settled status' which means having indefinite leave to remain
  • Maintain at least 90% attendance.
  • Have a household income of £25,000 or less per year.
  • Be aged 16 or over but under 19 at 31 August 2022 or
  • be aged 19 or over with an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or
  • be aged 19 or over and continuing on a study programme which began when aged 16-18.

To be eligible for the vulnerable bursary, students must meet the above criteria and be:

  • in care
  • a care leaver
  • receiving income Support, or Universal Credit because they are financially supporting themselves or financially supporting themselves and someone who is dependent on them and living with them such as a child or partner.
  • receiving Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments in their own right as well as Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit in their own right.

How to apply

Students should complete this on-line application form and provide the Student Services Team with supporting evidence as follows:

For the Vulnerable Bursary:

  • for students in Care or a care leaver; written confirmation of your current or previous looked-after status from the relevant local authority - this is the local authority that looks after you or provides your leaving care servies. The evidence could be a letter or an email but must clearly from the local authority
  • for students in receipt of Income Support or Universal Credit, a copy of their Income Support or Universal Credit award notice. This must clearly state that the claim is in the student's name/confirm they are entitled to the benefits in their own right. The evidence must not state any conditions that prevent them from participating in further education or training. For students in receipt of Universal Credit, institutions must also see a tenancy agreement in the student's name, a child benefit receipt, children's birth certificates, utility bills etc.
  • for students receiving UC/ESA and Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payments, a copy of their UC claim from DWP (UC claimants should be able to print off details of their award from their online account). Evidence of receipt of Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment, must also be provided
  • a completed student budget planner
  • copies of student's last 3 month's bank statements

Please be advised that students who meet the criteria for bursaries for vulnerable groups are not authomatically entitled to a bursary if they do not have financial needs and/or their financial needs are covered from other sources.

For the discretionary bursary:

One of the following as proof of Household income:

  • a letter from the Department of Work and Pensions showing receipt of benefits
  • a P60 from the current tax year
  • a Tax Credit Award Notice
  • copies of last three online statements for Universal Credit

Students should also supply:

The application process opens in September 2022.  All applications should be submitted by 30 April 2023.